Ethiopia presidency of UNSC successful, says MoFA
October 5, 2017
Ethiopia’s month-long presidency of the United Nations Security Council (UNSC) was successful, said the Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MoFA).
High-level open debate, two ministerial level meetings of the UNSC, 11th joint annual consultation between UNSC and AUPSC, urgent meetings on North Korea's nuclear test and Myanmar issues were held under Ethiopia’s presidency.
Moreover, the country chaired among others meetings of the Security Council on AU-UN partnership, reform of PSC architecture, as well as adoption of six resolutions and one presidential statement, including reform of UN peacekeeping operations proposed by Ethiopia.
According to MoFA, the decisions taken at the events were vital in taking Ethiopia’s diplomacy into a new height.
Ambassador Tekeda Alemu, Permanent Representative of Ethiopia to the United Nations (UN) said during its presidency, Ethiopia worked to strengthen the relations between the African Union and the Security Council.
He further said the country is also working with the other two African representatives at the Security Council, Egypt and Senegal, to advocate African agendas at the Council.
Ethiopia yesterday concluded its month- long presidency of the UNSC on September. The presidency of the Council for the month of October goes to France.
The United Nations Security Council has five permanent members – United States, United Kingdom, Russia, China and France - and 10 non-permanent members.
- Preserving values of Irrecha crucial, says participants
- Ethiopia, UAE vow to move relations forward
- Ethiopia unveils 10-year horticulture strategy
- PM Hailemariam sends condolences to President Trump over mass shooting in Las Vegas
- Power distribution station built with $10.8 mln goes operational
- Ethiopia presidency of UNSC successful, says MoFA
- Ethiopian Goes Fully Digital
- Wegagen Bank inaugurates $34.5 mln built headquartersWegagen Bank inaugurates $34.5 mln built headquarters
- Ministry said better performance attained to ensure women benefit, participation
- There is favorable situation for the youth to work and succeed in their country